Sheng Rong specialises in complex international commercial litigation and arbitration, with a focus on commercial fraud and investigations, employment law and technology law.
He has acted as lead counsel and has worked with Senior Counsel in litigation before the Singapore Court of Appeal, the Singapore International Commercial Court and the Singapore High Court, as well as in arbitrations under the rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
Prior to joining the firm, Sheng Rong was a Deputy Public Prosecutor at the Attorney-General’s Chambers, where he conducted criminal prosecutions and investigations in white-collar commercial crime, cybercrime, and securities and regulatory offences.
He was the winner of the Christopher Bathurst Prize 2011, organised by Fountain Court Chambers in London, UK. He was also the first runner-up in the ECC-SAL International Mooting Competition 2013, organised by Essex Court Chambers in London, UK.
Sheng Rong was selected for the prestigious NYU-NUS LLB-LLM concurrent degree programme, and graduated on the Overall Dean’s List.
Commercial fraud and investigations
- Acted for an international group of coal mining companies before the Singapore High Court in relation to claims against ex-employees for fraud and conspiracy to divert profits and business opportunities
- Acted for a global energy resources company in relation to investigations by the Commercial Affairs Department into a fraudulent conspiracy by employees to divert and misappropriate secret profits
- Advising a global luxury brand in relation to investigations by foreign authorities pertaining to customs and tax regulations for the import and sale of consumer goods
- Acted in litigation before the Singapore Court of Appeal in relation to claims by an international travel services company against its ex-employees for breaches of director and employment duties and non-compete clauses
- Acting in litigation before the Singapore High Court in relation to claims by ex-employees against an international manufacturing company for wrongful dismissal
- Acted for an international group of energy resources companies before the Singapore High Court in relation to claims against ex-employees for breaches of director and employment duties
- Acting for an international technology company before the Singapore Court of Appeal in relation to claims against ex-employees for theft of intellectual property, trade secrets and confidential information
- Advised senior-level executives in relation to claims by a global technology and manufacturing company for the recovery of confidential information
- Acting for a professional body before the Singapore High Court in relation to claims by a technology company for anti-competitive behaviour, conspiracy and unlawful interference with trade
Other notable experience
- Acting for an Australian public-listed energy resources and technology company before the Singapore International Commercial Court in relation to a claim by an Indonesian public-listed energy resources company for the failure of a joint venture to construct and operate a coal upgrading plant, with over S$1 billion in dispute
- Acted for Serbian manufacturing companies before the Court of Appeal in relation to claims by a Panama investment company to garnish monies held on trust for a Yugoslav state-owned entity
- Acting for the trustees of a Muslim charitable trust (wakaf) in proceedings before the Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura (MUIS) in relation to a rogue trustee’s mismanagement of trust affairs and breach of trust
- Acted for a BVI wholesale trading company before the Singapore High Court in relation to an application to set aside an ICC arbitral award pertaining to a contract governed by the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG)
- Acted for a regional materials supplier before the Singapore Court of Appeal in relation to claims by an international construction company under a supply contract which was frustrated by the 2007 Indonesian sand ban
- Acted in litigation before the Singapore High Court in relation to professional negligence claims pertaining to failed property investments in South America
- Acted for high net worth individuals before the Singapore High Court in relation to a prominent social club in Singapore
- I-Admin (Singapore) Pte Ltd v Hong Ying Ting and others  SGCA 32
- BVU v BVX  SGHC 69
- BCBC Singapore Pte Ltd and another v PT Bayan Resources TBK and another  3 SLR 1 (SGHC(I))
- StreetSine Singapore Pte Ltd v Singapore Institute of Surveyors and Valuers and others  SGHCR 1
- The State-Owned Company Yugoimport SDPR (also known as Jugoimport-SDPR) v Westacre Investments Inc and other appeals  5 SLR 372 (SGCA)
- Griffin Travel Pte Ltd v Nagender Rao Chilkuri and others  SGHC 205
- Alliance Concrete Singapore Pte Ltd v Sato Kogyo (S) Pte Ltd  3 SLR 857 (SGCA)
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Advocacy Trainer, Law Society of Singapore
- Contributor, Chapter on “Role of Court”, Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon, ed., Arbitration in Singapore: A Practical Guide (Sweet & Maxwell) (2nd ed., 2018; 1st ed., 2014)