HOUT Sotheary obtained her Master Degree (in International and Comparative Law) awarded by the National University of Singapore, Singapore, and a Bachelor of Laws from the Royal University of Law and Economics, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Beside these two major degrees, she also obtained other law and business certificates recognizing her participation in various short-term courses conducted in Cambodia and overseas.
Before joining us, Sotheary has been practicing commercial and corporate law for more than 5 years from May 2006 when she started her job as a legal advisor at one of the major consulting firms in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Sotheary joined R&T Sok & Heng as a Senior Associate for more than 2 years.
Through her long-term practice, Sotheary has gained expertise in commercial and corporate law, investment law, banking and finance, contract law, insolvency law and labor law. Her other areas of expertise include intellectual properties, alternative dispute resolution, INGO registration, and legal translation.
General Corporate and Commercial Law
- Assisting in and advising on the business set-up, business restructure, regulatory compliance, and other general advices of various local and international companies in relation to their business in Cambodia, including Cnergy Petroleum (Ap) Pte Ltd, Du Pont (Cambodia), Tan Chong Group, FELCRA Berhad, Xilix Capital Pte. Ltd., Shriro (Singapore) Pte. Ltd., Khmer First Investment Holding Group Co., Ltd. and others
- Assisting and advising Schenker (Asia Pacific) Pte Ltd, a Singapore based company having supply chain offering globally logistical services and operates in over 130 countries world-wide, in relation to its subsidiary set-up in Cambodia and other general advices
- Assisting and advising a Japan based leading hospital in relation to structure, joint venture and other general advices for its hospital project in Cambodia
- Assisting and advising a Malaysian based gaming company in relation to its various business in Cambodia, including the application for shareholder restructuring and closing down of its subsidiaries, and other general advices
- Assisting and advising ThomasLloyd CleanTech Infrastructure Fund GmbH, a UK-based leading global investment banking and investment management group, in relation to its renewable energy and cleantech business in Cambodia, including shareholder restructuring and legal compliance of its subsidiary, and other general advices
- Assisting and advising Emerging Market Group Holding and its investment firm in relation to their business ventures in Cambodia and cross-borders transactions
- Assisting and advising Provident Capital in relation to the large-scale due diligence and acquisition of the BTS tower infrastructure from one of the mobile and telecommunication leader in Cambodia
- Advising a Hong-Kong listed Macau casino and hotel operator on its potential investment in Cambodia
- Advising VW Win Holding Plc., Cambodia’s 5D lottery operator, with regard to regulatory compliances in its business operations
M&A / Banking and Financing
- Assisting and advising National Bank of Canada, the sixth largest commercial bank in Canada, in relation to the legal due diligence on Advanced Bank of Asia Limited, a leading commercial bank in Cambodia, for its multi-million dollars equity acquisition
- Jointly assisting and advising Singapore Branch of Mizuho Bank Ltd., a leading financial institution with one of the largest customer bases in Japan, for its financing to a leading cement manufacturer in Cambodia
- Assisting and advising Hong Leong Bank (Cambodia) Plc, a subsidiary of in the preparation and providing legal advices on regulatory compliance, lending and security documents of particular loan facilities
- Assisting and advising Siam Commercial Bank, the first bank of Thailand, and its subsidiary in Cambodia, Cambodian Commercial Bank, for its provisions of loan facilities in Cambodia, legal compliance review of various forms/applications and other general advices
- Jointly assisting and advising VP Bank in relation to the due diligence on four Cambodian agricultural companies
- Jointly assisting and advising dnata Singapore Pte Ltd, a world leading company providing airport services based in Singapore, in its acquisition of Trails of Indochina Co., Ltd., a Cambodia subsidiary of TOI tourist group companies
- Assisting one of the largest European and German-based financial institution on the due diligence exercise of a leading microfinance institution for its multi-million dollars financing; and on the due diligence of a leading commercial bank in Cambodia for its multi-million dollars financing and equity acquisition
- Jointly acting with Baker & McKenzie for E.Sun Commercial Bank Ltd., the flagship banking arm of Taiwan-based E.Sun Financial Holding Co., on its acquisition of 70% stake in Cambodia’s Union Commercial Bank Plc.
- Assisting in and advising on the registration, exclusivity registration, trademark search, filing compliance, i.e. filing affidavit of use or non-use or renewal of trademark registration, of trademark and other intellectual property rights (copyright, patent, industrial design and utility model) of various international companies in relation to registration and protection of their intellectual property rights in Cambodia, including Tan Chong Group, AEON KABUSHIKI KAISHA/AEON Co., Ltd. and Phnom Penh Sez Co., Ltd
- Assisting and advising on trademark license agreement, franchise agreement, distribution agreement and dealer agreement of various companies in relation to their business in Cambodia, including Tan Chong Group and Karanak Capital Pte Ltd
- Assisting garment-industrial companies in making the application for Initial Public Offering, including drafting and reviewing the disclosure document, due diligence report, resolutions and other supporting documents
Memberships / Directorships
- Licensed by the Intellectual Property Department of the Ministry of Commerce as an Official Trademark Agent