Alroy is called to the Singapore Bar, and is part of the Corporate Commercial and Myanmar Practices of Rajah & Tann. Alroy was the first lawyer from Rajah & Tann to be based in Myanmar, and helped to establish Rajah & Tann’s Yangon office. After being based in Myanmar from 2012 to 2013, Alroy currently divides his time between Singapore and Myanmar.
Alroy has a broad-based, cross-border focus on corporate matters, mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures. He also advises on government petitions, and is experienced in complex regulatory matters, including logistics, tobacco, alcohol, anti-corruption and anti-money laundering regulations. In 2018, Alroy was seconded to a leading international law firm in London, where he worked on infrastructure and energy related M&As involving European parties.
In his Myanmar practice, Alroy has been involved in numerous high-profile investments, including landmark applications to the Myanmar Investment Commission and the Thilawa Special Economic Zone. Alroy regularly structures and completes corporate transactions for international clients, Asian start-ups and Myanmar conglomerates.
Alroy divides his time between Singapore and Myanmar. Clients benefit from his keen understanding of the business and regulatory environment in Myanmar, as well as his on-the-ground experience.
Clients have rated Alroy for his “energetic and useful support” (The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017 - Myanmar), being “great in all aspects” (IFLR1000 2018 – Myanmar) and “able to give solid advice with an in-depth analysis and strategy” (The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 – Myanmar).
Notable Cases & Transactions
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acted for Coca-Cola in its acquisition of carbonated soft drinks bottling facilities in Myanmar and joint venture with Pinya Manufacturing Company (a leading carbonated soft drinks company in Myanmar).
- Acted for Coca-Cola in its buy-out of Myanmar Refreshments’ stake in Coca-Cola Myanmar Overseas Holdings.
- Acted for Asahi in its acquisition of carbonated soft drinks bottling facilities in Myanmar and joint venture with Loi Hein Company Limited (a leading carbonated soft drinks company in Myanmar).
- Acted for a Myanmar conglomerate in the successful divesture of its household goods business to, and joint venture with, Unilab.
- Acted for Best Oil Company (BOC) and PT Power Trading (PTP), which are leading Myanmar petroleum companies, in SK Energy’s significant minority investment into BOC and PTP.
- Acted for Maha Agriculture Public Co. Ltd., a Myanmar microfinance institution, in an equity investment by the International Finance Corporation.
- Acted for Fullerton Financial Holdings Pte. Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Temasek Holdings, in respect of International Finance Corporation's equity investment into its subsidiary, Fullerton Finance (Myanmar) Company Limited (FFMCL).
- Acted for Island Capital / Millair on the sale of the Myanmar job portal “MyJobs.com.mm” to Ringier.
- Acted for Myanmar Winery & Distillery on the sale of its minority interest in Myanmar Distillery Company, the largest distillery in Myanmar.
- Acted for OUE Lippo Healthcare in its acquisition of a stake in Yoma Siloam Pun Hlaing Hospital and Pun Hlaing International Hospital Limited.
- Acted for ICON Infrastructure in its purchase of waste-to-energy plants located in the United Kingdom, from Cube and CNIM.
- Advised Viet Thai International Joint Stock Company (which alongside Jollibee Foods Corporation) acquired 100% of The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf®.
- Advised F&N on the sale of its controlling stake in Myanmar Brewery to Kirin.
- Acted for a Myanmar mobile payments player in its angel-investment by a Myanmar conglomerate.
- Advised Colgate-Palmolive in its acquisition of “Laser”, a Myanmar toothpaste business.
- Acted for Sol Partners Pte Ltd on the sale of a minority stake in Mandalay Yoma Energy, a Myanmar-focused off-grid energy specialist and market leader in Myanmar’s PV mini-grid industry, to ENGIE Group.
- Acted for a Japanese private equity fund in its investments into real estate development projects in Myanmar.
- Acted for Myanma Awba in its partnership with the United Nations to establish a seed company in Myanmar.
- Acted for Ball Corporation in the first ever investment in the Thilawa Special Economic Zone, a 2,400-hectare industrial development project near Yangon, Myanmar, to establish a two-piece aluminum can manufacturing facility.
- Acted for CITIC in its successful bid to develop the Kyauk Phyu Economic Zone in Myanmar
- Acted for OCBC in their successful application for a Myanmar banking licence.
- Advising the Yangon Regional Government on its potential joint venture with Amata, to develop a mixed-use industrial park.
- Acted for Denko Petrochemical on the development and construction of an oil storage terminal in Myanmar.
- Acted for a Myanmar conglomerate in its brand licensing agreement with an oil-major to introduce branded petrol sites in Myanmar.
- Acted for a Myanmar conglomerate in a mixed-use development project in Yangon.
- Acted for a Singapore-listed hospitality group on a hotel conservation project in Myanmar.
- Acted for Ninja Van in its joint venture to establish a last-mile logistics company in Myanmar.
- Acted for YUM! Brands in its franchise agreement with Yoma Strategic to introduce KFC into Myanmar.
- Advised YUM! Brands in its franchise agreement with Jardines and Citymart to introduce Pizza Hut into Myanmar.
- Acted for Oishi in its joint venture with Citymart to introduce Shabu-shi branded restaurants in Myanmar.
- Acted for Eden Hotels and Resorts in a franchise agreement to introduce Genki Sushi to Myanmar.
- Advised Max Energy Group in a US$20 million loan facility to finance Phase II of the Thilawa Oil Depot Terminal Project in the construction of seven fuel tank storages in Thilawa River Port, Myanmar, one of Myanmar’s first Special Economic Zones, with a gross storage capacity of about 85,000 MT.
- Acted for Myanma Awba Group Company Limited in International Finance Corporation’s investment by way of a convertible loan, which was the first investment by the International Finance Corporation in the agriculture space in Myanmar.
- Acted for Maha in various financings, including by Yoma Bank and the Netherlands Development Finance Company i.e. FMO.
- Acted for a Myanmar conglomerate in a financing from an Asian bank to develop an oil terminal.
- Acted for Ninja Van in relation to restructuring matters across six ASEAN jurisdictions including Indonesia, Philippines and Thailand pursuant to its Series C fundraising.
- Acted for a cruise center operator in a government petition.
- Acted for a tobacco player in its engagement with the Singapore government.
- Advised an Australian airline carrier on competition law issues in relation to their proposed joint service agreement with an Asian airline carrier.
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Joint author, Myanmar chapter, Telecoms and Media 2014 - 2018 Getting the Deal Through
- Co-author, “Investing in Myanmar – not when but how”, The SME Magazine – Business Times (January/February 2019)
- Co-author, “Myanmar – The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same?”, The SME Magazine – Business Times (June/July 2016)
- Co-author, “When Purchasers Go Sour”, The SME Magazine – Business Times (September/October 2014)
- Co-author, “Myanmar – Getting on the Road to Reformation”, The SME Magazine – Business Times (January/February 2013)
- Contributor to the Singapore Chapter of “The Public Competition Enforcement Review” 4th Edition